Villa Sassolini (Chianti)
Central Tuscany, Chianti, and Siena, Italy
In the heart of Tuscany, at the border of the Arno Valley and the hills of Chianti, Villa Sassolini is an example of architectural recovery that binds the past to a modern concept of hospitality in a most refined manner. Modern technology, efficiency and careful attention to all details complete the charm and magic of Villa Sassolini.
Ten elegant rooms in this magical atmosphere guarantee a corner of relaxation where one can lose themselves in a stay that moves to the rhythms of the countryside. In perfect harmony with the beauty of its surroundings, a restaurant for the most demanding palate, crowns the hospitality of the Residenza. The kitchen offers an expert mix of tradition and avant-garde, accompanied by a wine list that offers the best of local and other fine Italian wines. Our beautiful swimming pool is located in one of the most panoramic places in the garden of the Villa. Our guests can enjoy a drink or read a book relaxing on the comfortable sun beds around the swimming pool.
A Short History of Villa Sassolini
The earliest record of Villa Sassolini dates from the 15th century when a local legend describes the flight of the noblewoman Caterine Pitti from Florence to a grand house following the assassination of her husband, the Count Guido Guidi of the Guidi family of Florence, and feudal rulers of Mancioni since 1091.
"Villa" was added to the name of the house in the second half of the 18th century reflecting social transformation in all of Italy. Historically the villa's use changed from that of a dynastic feudal stronghold to that of a country home. The evolvement of the Villa combined the two aspects of beauty and utility and became a place of life and meditation between the city and the country. The Villa belonged to the noble Mori family until 1809 and other noted owners include the Orsi, the Romanelli and the Galassi families. The Galassi who used the villa as a holiday home decided to sell Villa Sassolini in 1947.
Of particular interest of the Villa is the decoration of the facade. The decoration consists of graphic patterns in the external plaster work executed by an unknown instrument with a metallic point. The design is in harmony with the sober elegance of the building. Its pattern is composed of three vertical lines equidistant from the following three vertical lines covering the entire height of the facade. This pattern includes rhythmic convex and concave curves symbolizing the movement of water or wind. On top of these curves are circles probably representing the sun as a talisman of future bountiful harvests.
Written by Patrice Lombardi, painter
In perfect harmony with the beauty of its surroundings, a restaurant for the most demanding palate crowns the hospitality of the residence. The kitchen offers an expert mix of tradition and avant-garde, accompanied by a wine list that offers the best of local and other fine Italian wines.
Other services -
Fax Service, Internet Point, Swimming Pool, Welcome Drink, Restaurant, Candle Light Dinner, Public Parking, Personal Shopper Service, Cooking and Drawing Courses.